The Preformed Shower Niche
Many shower niches (like the Schluter Kerdi Niches pictured above) come as preformed units that are installed between your studs (standard 16" on center) during a shower tile installation. The finished niche is typically 12" wide. They are offered in varying heights - some with additional shelves! These niches come waterproofed and prepped for tile. Check out some of the niches we've installed using preformed units.
The Custom Tile Shower Niche
If the preformed sizes just don't work for you, another option would be to have your builder or contractor frame out a custom sized shower niche. This would happen during the framing process of your shower (or would require modification to your existing studs). During the tiling phase, our installers would board in and waterproof your custom niche to prep it for tile. A custom tile niche can really make an impact in your shower (and can offer a bigger ledge for all of your shower products).
Tile Shower Niche Considerations
There are many details to consider when planning for a shower niche. Here are seven questions to ask yourself before you start:
- How big do I need my shower niche to be?
- How tall are my shampoo bottles?
- What do I plan to keep in my niche?
- Do I need 1 shelf? Or 2? Or more?
- Do I want my niche to be the decorative accent in the shower? Should it have an accent tile?
- Do I want my niche to blend in with the shower walls and be more functional than anything?
- What type of shelves (tile or solid surface) do I want in my niche?
We love customizing tile niches to fit your needs and design styles. We hope you can find some inspiration here for your next shower project!